Rating The Heisman Trophy CandidatesBREAKING NEWS, College, NCAAF, News Sunday, December 4th, 2011
Is there another award that always gets it wrong more then the Heisman? To even put Andrew Luck in this discussion is borderline criminal and definitely insane. I just cannot be one of those Lou Holtz followers and not actually look at the play on the field. I have said for over a year this guy is the most over rated over hyped player of all time !
And he may win the Heisman ! Are you kidding me ! Anyone who knows the game could not possibly say this guy was one of even the top 5 players this year. Wow so what do you great timing here are the real top 5 best players this year.
1) RG 3, Robert Griffin III – yes he won me over I am a believer. Nobody throws a better deep ball then him. And when I looked at it, he is the ONLY player that didn’t have a bad game all year. His 73% completion percentage, 34 touchdown passes, five interceptions and 3700 yards passing in the Big 12 have me naming him the best player in college football this year.
2) Tyrann Matthieu – If you aren’t close to the game you may not recognize this name. But trust me no one has had a greater impact on the LSU Tigers being undefeated then Tyrann. He has a nose for the ball like few do and his play on special teams have me thinking he is Devin Hester or maybe even a better comparison Patrick Peterson like. Except this guy can play defense. He is the kind of player you find on every championship team He is a difference maker. My favorite player in the game.
3) Trent Richardson – 1900 total yards in a tough SEC conference. Comparisons to Earl Campbell. He will get many 1st place votes but sits at number 3 on my list
4) Matt Barkley – It is a shame that USC is on probation. A rematch of USC-Oregon in the Pac 10 final would have been great. When I see Barkley I see a quarterback who has the best pocket presence of any of the quarterbacks coming out. Even better then St Andrew. I’d take him #1 overall if I needed a quarterback.
5) Justin Blackmon – What a beast? He had some drops but will be a Anquin Boldin type receiver at the next level. He’s definitely one of the five best. A wide out on the number 3 team in the country with gaudy stats. But when you look past the stats you see a real talent that will transform at the ultimate level.
Short URL: http://gcobb.com/?p=26793