After Final Talks, NHL Lockout All But AssuredBREAKING NEWS, Flyers, News, NHL Wednesday, September 12th, 2012
The NHLPA reportedly organized 275 players in New York City today for the final meeting between the players association and the NHL regarding a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA). The two organizations were considered very far apart on economic issues prior to the meeting.
As of 5:00 p.m. today, nothing has changed.
Well, that’s not entirely true. Both groups made a few concessions.
- “Donald Fehr says players are willing to take a lower percentage over time.” – Chris Johnston, the Canadian Press
- “Gary Bettman said that his offer today asks for a reduction of 9% of players’ salaries. NHL asked for 24% in July.” – Renaud P. Lavoie, RDS
- “NHL counter-proposal today was six years in length: offered to start players’ share at 49% and end it at 47% at end of term.” – Pierre LeBrun, ESPN
- “Part of the proposal that the players made today, they are ready to go to 5 years, instead of 4 like they proposed on August 14.” – Renaud P. Lavoie, RDS
- “Bettman says NHL is not changing definition of HRR (hockey-related revenue) in their latest proposal.” – Ian Mendes, Rogers Sportsnet
It’s progress, but at a glacial pace. The players are looking to protect their existing contracts from a rollback as well as maintain as much of their percentage of hockey related revenue as they can. Their offer today would see that percentage reduce to nearly 52% by the end of the next CBA, whereas the NHL is looking to reduce it to 47%.
Is the final resolution for a 50/50 split? Nobody knows at this point, but it’s clearly not a problem that will be solved before Saturday night, when the lockout becomes official.
Key dates in the short-term:
- September 25 – Beginning of NHL preseason
- September 28 – Beginning of Adirondack Phantoms training camp (to be held at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees in the event of a lockout)
- October 11 – First game of the 2012-13 NHL Season
- December 1 – Marks 60± games left if a lockout
- January 1 – Marks 46± games left if a lockout
For the latest Flyers news and updates, you can follow me on twitter (@JoshJanet).
Short URL: http://gcobb.com/?p=33349