College Football Week 3 ReviewBREAKING NEWS, News Tuesday, September 25th, 2012
First things first, I lost more then I won this week. Sure if the Florida State defensive back tips or picks that ball off it’s a .500 week but even that is unacceptable. Here is the thing. I can look and make charts and study tape all week; but these are 18-22 year old kids. They are human and they miss assignments and make mistakes. That’s why I never get to high on the highs and low on the lows. For the year I am 15-6 and I think anyone would take that but trust me, even knowing all of this it eats me alive when I loose. I hate it. But I am not going to move on without addressing it. I own the fact that I lost and my apologies. I am going to make a slight adjustment. It takes me on average two hours to really analyze a game with watching tape back and reading numbers. Five games diminishes the quality so I am going to cut my selections to two or three games max per week. Break it down so you know the college game better. I will continue to work to be as interesting and informative as I can be. I have received some nice emails and texts recently along with comments on the blogs so I am glad you enjoy what I produce. Now on to what’s important:
What a weekend for college football. Is it me or are they playing too many of the important games at the same time? There were five important games on Saturday night at the same time. I love that Fox has stepped into the college football world but they could do a better job of spreading these games out. I think I was actually stressed out trying to see every play of every game. And I have to say except for the South Carolina game the day action suffered a bit. With only a few important games national championship wise this weekend shouldn’t be too bad. Unless you are staying up late or have a package Oregon may be a tough team to watch. I advise all who can, do. Yes I have said they are fast around 100 times this year but they are better then that. If they can get through USC (possibly twice) we could have an epic National Championship where offense meets defense if they face either Alabama or Florida State. What happens if all three finishes undefeated I do not know. But someone really deserving will get left out. This could turn into a disaster. I bet the committee will be routing for USC November 3rd.
This weeks 5 things
1) Why are people bashing the SEC? Ok Arkansas is having a nightmare season. But does everyone remember they lost their coach right before the season? Take a look at the New Orleans Saints and then ask does a coach matter? A coach is so much more then a figure head. I have first hand experience in this. A team will take on its coach’s personality. Yes a lot of the game is x and o’s but a good coach gets his players in his own way to buy into a concept that will result in success. And I’m sorry but I’ll take Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina over the top 5 teams from any other conference. When you look at the first round of the NFL draft it is always loaded with SEC talent. So to read that the conference is having a down year is absurd.
2) When will everyone realize that Bob Stoops is a lousy football coach? I devoted an entire article to this man asking for him to be fired last year. His team was flat out pasted Saturday Night at HOME in front of their alumni and fans. When you are a two touchdown plus favorite at home and have National Championship aspirations you don’t lose. The sad part is anymore the Sooners choking isn’t big news. This guy does less with more about as well as Charlie Manuel.
3) As bad as Stoops is, is there another coach in America as underrated and under appreciated then Bill Snyder at Kansas State? He has his team in the top 10 out of nowhere when the Wildcats were suppose to be having a rebuilding year. He is the football version of Jesus constantly turning water into wine by taking nameless, starless players that nobody else wanted and making them better players and even more important better people. With everything that is wrong with the game today it is refreshing to see a guy doing it his way which just coincidently happens to be the right way.
4) Can we just have two uniforms per team? Maybe I am old school but I for one am not impressed with how many shades of green Oregon can make its jerseys. I was watching Rutgers Arkansas and I had to look three times to see who was who. This comes from a guy who watches 18 hours of football on a Saturday and hours during the week of tape. And I understand why Bill O’ Brien wants to put last names on the back of his players jersey’s this year but I even hate that. I remember the late 70’s when Pittsburgh would visit Penn State or Alabama would play Oklahoma and all that mattered was the play on the field. Like anything else big corporations and money have ruined something that was fine the way it was. I was just fine watching Jack Ham tackle Tony Dorsett without electric blue jerseys or their names on the back of it. Back then all that mattered was the name on the front of the jersey.
5) Rutgers is a good football team. Quarterback Gary Nova went into Arkansas and outdueled All American Tyler Wilson throwing for 397 yards and 5 touchdowns in their 35-26 upset win over the Hogs. Running Back Jawan Jamison went over the 100 yard mark in all four games this season. Don’t look now but Rutgers is 4-0 as they prepare for UCONN at home this coming Saturday which has become a must watch game.
This week’s top 10
1) Alabama — I would love to say the gap has narrowed but every time I doubt the Tide they remind me of just how good they are. Next up Ole Miss Saturday 9:15 pm on ESPN.
2) Florida State — Many would have Oregon here but I think if the two matched up I’d take size and speed over speed. A very impressive second half to send Clemson packing. This week at South Florida 6pm on ESPN.
3) Oregon — Very impressive win against Arizona. Most expected the win but not for the defense to be so dominant. I give them a leg up on USC currently but the Trojans will be ready. Next up at Washington State Saturday at 10:30 ESPN 2.
4) Georgia — I have the Bulldogs ranked higher then LSU. Although I may be in the minority I am just more impressed with Georgia’s body of work. Tennessee visits this Saturday at 3:30 on CBS
5) LSU — I may be a bit hard on the Tigers but they haven’t wowed anyone so far in their victories. That is most likely exactly how Les Miles wants it. The Tigers won’t be tested again this week but the Gators will visit in two weeks which should be a great game.LSU plays Towson Saturday 7pm on ESPNU.
6) South Carolina — Hard to ignore the fact that the Gamecocks are allowing less then 10 points per game which is 5th in the nation. Kentucky awaits Saturday at 7pm on ESPN 2
7) Florida — This is 3 or 4 spot s higher then the Ap and Espn /USA today coaches poll. The difference is I actually watch everyone else play. This team deserves this spot. Florida has a well earned bye this week but LSU awaits October 6th
8) Stanford – I gave Stanford the nod over teams like WVU and ND due to that huge win over USC. The Cardinal travel to Washington for a Thursday meeting at 9pm on ESPN
9) West Virginia — I really don’t know how good this team is yet they really haven’t played anyone. Baylor is coming to town this weekend so we will get a better idea. This team could be anywhere from 6th to 9th after Saturday.
10) Kansas State – I love what Bill Snyder is doing AGAIN. Kansas comes in town Saturday noon on FX
10A) Notre Dame – The Irish are a good team. But I need to see more then beating the big 10, everyone has! I think the Irish will be tested by Miami on October 6th
Short URL: http://gcobb.com/?p=33690