Notes From The Phillies’ 3-1 Win Over PittsburghBREAKING NEWS, News, Phillies Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013
- Jonathan Pettibone gave the team a pretty nice outing, allowing just one run on three hits in 5.2 innings. Pettibone struck out six, and allowed three walks.
- The Phillies scored all of their runs in the sixth inning. Ryan Howard drove in the first run with an RBI single, Domonic Brown knocked in the second with a sacrifice fly, and Delmon Young doubled home the third.
- Michael Young went 2-4, increasing his average to .290.
- John Mayberry doubled in the ninth inning, but was picked off later in the inning.
- It was a good night for Charlie Manuel’s young bullpen. The group combined for 3.1 scoreless innings.
- Jake Diekman got the final out of the sixth inning.
- Phillippe Aumont got through the seventh despite giving up two hits.
- J.C. Ramirez, Antonio Bastardo, and Justin De Fratus each recorded an out in the eighth inning.
- De Fratus got the final out of the eighth, picking up a strike out with the bases loaded.
- Jonathan Papelbon picked up his 16th save.
Although its nice to see the Phillies pick up a win over a team like the Pirates, they were very lucky tonight.
They got away with the offense scoring only three runs, and somehow managed to get 3.1 scoreless innings out of six bullpen pitchers. More often than not, this isn’t a formula for success.
Jonathan Pettibone has managed to straighten himself out with a couple of quality outings in his last two starts. Pettibone had been getting hit around, but he’s managed to get his ERA back under 4.00.
Short URL: http://gcobb.com/?p=37993