Notes From The Phillies’ 14-4 Loss To New YorkBREAKING NEWS, News, Phillies Tuesday, April 11th, 2017
On The Mound
- Clay Buchholz was terrible in his second start of the season, lasting just 2.1 innings and giving up six runs on eight hits and a walk.
- Buchholz started off the night by putting the Phils in an instant 3-0 hole, giving up a three-run shot to Yoenis Cespedis in the first inning.
- He was touched up for two more runs in the second, and was charged with another in the third before finally getting the hook due to a right arm strain.
- Adam Morgan came on to relieve Buchholz, and was even worse. Morgan gave up four runs, all on home runs, on seven hits over 3.2 innings.
- Morgan has now given up seven runs and six homers in two appearances this year. I’d be shocked if he’s still on the major league roster by Wednesday’s game.
- Joely Rodriguez gave up three more runs in the eighth.
- Jeanmar Gomez gave up a run in the ninth.
At The Plate
- The offense generated four runs on seven hits.
- Maikel Franco hit a solo home run off Matt Harvey in the second inning.
- Michael Saunders knocked in the team’s second run with a sacrifice in the fourth.
- Daniel Nava drove in a run in the eighth with a pinch-hit double.
- Tommy Joseph has been an absolute disaster through the first eight games. He’s been so bad, he’s going to make fans wish the team had brought Ryan Howard and his .190+ batting average back for another season.
Well, the momentum from the Washington series is now dead and gone.
The Phils have fallen flat on their faces in this key series with the Mets, and are staring a potential sweep on their home field tomorrow.
On a positive note, this has been the only game that the Phillies have been completely embarrassed and had no chance to win. All of their other four losses have been winnable games.
But tonight’s game was some of the ugliest baseball you’ll ever see, with the pitching staff managing just one scoreless inning.
The ERA’s of the four pitchers following tonight’s game? 12.27 for Buchholz. 10.50 for Morgan. 11.81 for Joely Rodriguez. 12.46 for Jeanmar Gomez.
Expect a head to roll tomorrow, most likely Adam Morgan.
Short URL: http://gcobb.com/?p=48042