On The Mound
- Nick Pivetta was lit up for nine runs on seven hits and three walks in five innings.
- Pivetta was tagged early by Ryan Braun for a grand slam in the second inning, and gave up four more runs before finally escaping the frame.
- Ricardo Pinto struck out two coming in relief in the sixth.
- Luis Garcia pitched a scoreless seventh.
- Joaquin Benoit got the team through the eighth.
At The Plate
- The offense managed six runs on nine hits.
- Aaron Altherr hit out of the leadoff spot again, going 2-3 with two doubles. Altherr now has 20 doubles on the year.
- Freddy Galvis went 1-4 with a single and walk, and scored two runs.
- Big night at the plate for Maikel Franco, who went 4-5 with two doubles and drove in two runs.
- Tommy Joseph turned in an 0-4.
- Nick Williams went 0-4, but drove in a run.
- Andrew Knapp went 1-4 with a single.
- Odubel Herrera went 1-3 with a two-run homer.
- Andres Blanco started at second, and went 0-3.
The second half of the season started out with a loss and a disappointing showing from Nick Pivetta, but at least the offense showed a little fight and made things interesting in this one.
I’d be shocked if tonight’s 4-5 effort from Maikel Franco really meant anything. Franco has had his occasional big games throughout the season, and followed them up with a week of 0-4’s. We’ll see if this time around is any different.