The Philadelphia Phillies won the second game of their series with the Nationals on Tuesday night 4-1. Their record improves to 63-95.
On The Mound
- Jake Thompson turned in another decent start, going five innings and giving up just one run on four hits.
- Edubray Ramos pitched a scoreless sixth.
- Adam Morgan got the team through the seventh.
- Luis Garcia struck out two in a scoreless eighth.
- Hector Neris struck out the side to get the save.
At The Plate
- The offense generated four runs on six hits.
- Cesar Hernandez hit out of the leadoff spot and went 0-5.
- Freddy Galvis went 1-2 with a single and worked two walks.
- Aaron Altherr went 1-3 with a single a walk.
- Rhys Hoskins went 0-2 with a walk and drove in a run.
- Tommy Joseph went 2-4 with a couple of singles and drove in a run.
- Odubel Herrera went 0-4.
- Cameron Rupp caught the game and went 1-3 with a double, drove in two runs, and worked a walk.
- J.P. Crawford went 0-3 with a walk.
The Phils have now successfully avoided a 100-loss season.
However, over the last few weeks, Rhys Hoskins has really been scuffling.
Hoskins has gone hitless in eight of the last 12 games, and he’s hitting just .231 for September overall. It could be that Hoskins is just worn down from a long season, but it could also be that pitchers have adjusted to him and now he needs to work on some things and make adjustments of his own.